The GOI Peace Foundation of Japan is announcing International Essay Contest for Young People. And as part of its 20th year Anniversary special edition, this annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an activity within the framework of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
“Creating a Society Full of Kindness”
Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2019) in one of the following age categories: a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online. To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page and follow the required steps (link will be activated soon)
Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page indicating (1) your name (2) category (Children or Youth) (3) age as of June 15, 2019 (4) gender (5) nationality (6) address (7) e-mail (8) phone number (9) school name (if applicable) (10) your essay title (11) language (12) word count (13) list of ten acts of kindness you performed (describe briefly).
Teachers may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted
Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
Entries must be received by June 15, 2019 (23:59 your local time).
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen and gift … 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen and gift … 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019 (Japan time) on the GOI Peace website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019
- The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- Japanese National Commission for UNESCO
- Japan Private High School Federation
- Tokyo Metropolitan Board of Education
- Japan Broadcasting Corporation, Nikkei Inc.
FELISSIMO CORPORATION, SEIKO HOLDINGS CORPORATION, PLUS CORPORATION
For further inquiries concerning the International Essay Contest for Young People, please contact email@example.com
For full information click here.